Undergraduate Requirements: Geochemistry Option
- Ge 11 ab, Ge/Ay 11 c or Ge 11 d1, Ge 109 and a science writing course.2
- Ma 2 and one choice from: Ma 3, Ge/ESE 118, Ge/Ay 117, Ph 2 c, or Ch 21c.
- Ph 2 a or Ph 12 a plus an additional quarter of sophomore-level physics (Ph 2 b, Ph 2 c, Ph 12 b, or Ph 12 c).
- Either ACM 95 ab or the combination of a full-year chemistry sequence (Ch 21 abc or Ch 41 abc) plus Ge/ESE 118.
- Three courses from the list below:
Ge 114 ab (counts as one course), Ge 116, Ge 140a, Ge 140b, Ch 41 a, Ch 21 a, ESE/Ge/Ch 171, Ge/ESE 149.
- A total of 105 units from this and item 5 that include at least four courses in the Ge-option:
Ch electives: Ch 4 ab, Ch 6 ab, Ch 8, Ch/ChE 9, Ch 14, Ch 15, Ch 21 bc, Ch 41 bc, Ch 102.
ChE electives: ChE 63 ab.
ESE electives: Ge/ESE 143, ESE 103, Ge/ESE 154, ESE/Ge/Ch 172, ESE/Ch 175, ESE/Ch 176.
Ge electives: Ge 40, Ge 106, Ge 112, Ge 115 ab, Ge 120 ab, Ge/Ch 127, Ge/Ch 128, Ge/Ay 132, Ge 191, Ge 212, Ge 214, Ge 215, Ge 232.
APh electives: APh 17 abc.
MS electives: MS 105, MS 125, MS 131, MS 133, MS/ME 161.
1No class may be used to simultaneously satisfy more than one of these requirements.
2For example, E 11, or En/Wr 84.
|Typical Course Schedule||Units per term|
|Ge 11 abc||Introduction to Earth and Planetary Science||9||9||9|
|Ge 109||Oral Presentation||3|
|Ph 2 ab||Sophomore Physics||9||9|
|Ma 2 a & other||Sophomore Mathematics||9||9|
|Geochemistry core or electives||9||9||9|
|ACM 95 ab||Intro. Methods of Applied Math.||12||12|
|Geochemistry core or electives||18||18||18|
For students beginning their junior year, it is possible to complete the requirements for the geochemistry option within two years, but there are benefits from starting with Ge 11 abc in the sophomore year.
Passing grades must be earned in a total of 486 units, including courses listed above. Any student whose grade-point average in science and mathematics courses is less than 1.9 at the end of an academic year may be refused permission to register in the geological and planetary science options.